Herndon Optimist Youth Cheerleading (HOYC) is a recreational/development program for children 5 - 14 years old. The program provides a rewarding and fun experience with an emphasis on both teamwork and individual accomplishment. Cheerleading requires stamina, concentration, and regular practice as a team. Throughout the season, your child will learn cheerleading fundamentals, sportsmanship, leadership and teamwork appropriate for each age level.
HOYC is open to boys and girls, ages 5-14. Players must be at least 5 years old and no more than 14 years old as of October 1, 2022.
HOYC cheerleaders participate in National Night Out on Tuesday August 2, 2022 at a Herndon area park.
HOYC team practices begin the week of August 8, 2022. Practices will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-7:30pm at the Herndon Middle School field or in a Herndon area school gym.
New this season: HOYC cheerleaders will receive cheer training at Phoenix Elite located in Chantilly, VA one day a week every other week starting in September. The specific day of the week and time will be communicated to parents/guardians once the season starts.
HOYC cheerleaders will cheer with the Herndon High School cheerleaders at home football games on Thursday or Friday nights starting in late August through mid-November. In addition, they may also cheer at elementary-middle school tackle or flag football games which begin in mid-September and end mid-November and are held on Saturdays between 8am-6pm at Herndon or Reston school sports fields.
The season will conclude no later than November 18, 2022.
Depending on the number of cheerleaders registering, there may be more than one cheer squad.
We will do our best to place cheerleader siblings together on the same team and cheerleaders on a squad that cheers for their football sibling's team. Please indicate in the registration whether the cheerleader has a sibling playing football.
Requests to be placed with friends or specific coaches will be considered on a case-by-case basis and honored at the discretion of the Commissioner to ensure proper age placement and balance of squads. If you have a special request, arrange a time to explain your special request to the Cheer Commissioner by using the "Contact Us" menu option on the home page.
- HOYC Registration Fee: $175 (includes Phoenix Elite training fee)
- HOYC Uniform Deposit Fee: $25 per uniform; Deposit is fully refunded when uniform is returned in clean condition, with no rips or stains, by the return date specified by the league
- If your child resides in Fairfax County and receives government assistance (e.g., free/reduced lunch, Medicaid), the Registration Fee can be covered by a scholarship; the Uniform Deposit Fee is still required to be paid
- If an adult family member is a Coach, the Registration Fee for one child is waived; the Uniform Deposit Fee is still required to be paid
Fee Payment Options:
- Credit/Debit Card
- Scholarship (Fairfax County residents only; Uniform Deposit Fee still required)
- Fee Waiver (Coaches and HOYC Board Members only; Uniform Deposit Fee still required)
- Registration Fee refunds will be authorized if the league Registrar receives an email withdrawing the cheerleader and requesting a refund prior to August 26, 2022
- If a player or family is removed from the league for refusing to follow Code of Conduct Rules or Health and Safety Protocols, no Registration Fees will be refunded
- If Fairfax County cancels our access to FCPS field/gym space, the amount of Registration Fee refund, if any, will depend on the costs already incurred by the league
- Uniform Deposit Fee will be refunded after uniform is returned in clean condition, with no rips or stains, by the return date specified by the league
- Each cheerleader will be required to purchase their own red boy cut briefs, white ankle cheer socks, and white sneakers; suggested websites will be provided via email to registered participants
Base Cost: $175.00
born between: 10/02/2007 and 10/01/2017
In Grades: K to 8 for 2022-23 School year